Scene Speak - Educational App
- Good Karma Applications, Inc
- Communication/Visual Supports/AAC
- Goals/Skill Covered:
- Reviewed By:
- Listed in:
- Apps for SLP's by Robin Parker
- Featured in:
- Lesson Plans:
- Related App:
- Do you have this app? Help others by writing a Quick Review
- Share this Page:
Description from Developer
Scene Speak is versatile customizable app that provides a framework on the iPad to create interactive visual scene displays and social stories. Scene Speak allows an image to be edited with active “hotspots”. A hotspot is an area of the screen that can “sound areas” that can be selected and used as a means of communication. An image can have multiple “hotspots” that can be edited to add sound, text labels or link to another visual scene. In addition, Images with text can be then can be added into “books” by theme or area of interest.
Scene Speak is a wonderful communication tool for those with Autism, Aphasia, Apraxia, developmental disabilities or anyone wanting to enhance receptive language or visual memory.
* ADD CUSTOM IMAGES from your home computer, the iPad camera or from the built in Internet search feature to create contextually relevant scenes.
* RECORD YOUR OWN VOICE to the “sound areas” or use one of the five preloaded voices in the TTS feature.
* MULTIPLE HOTSPOTS can be added to a scene. Hotspots can include: sound, text labels or can link to another scene.
* CREATE SOCIAL STORIES by grouping scenes into books.
* TEXT CAN BE ANIMATED by recording voice in-sync to the color change of text (text changes from black to red and back to black).
* PAGES CAN BE LOCKED /unlocked as needed to prevent user from going to another page.
* FILE SHARING: you can backup your saved "Books" and "VSD's" on your home computer or you can share them with a person with the same application.
* BACKUP AND RESTORE VIA iCLOUD to prevent loss of created scenes or share saved information to devices on the same iTunes account.
* PASSWORD PROTECTED SETTINGS MENU to prevent access to editing features and settings.
How does it work?
Personalized mages can be uploaded to the app. from your home computer or through an online image search. The images can then be resized and active “sound areas” can be added. The application allows both the number and size of the “sound areas” to be customized. Spoken messages can be added to the “sound areas” by using the Text-To-Speech feature, with one of five preloaded voices, or you can record your own voice to the “sound areas”. User can also add text to the sound area as a way of reinforcing receptive language acquisition. A scene can also be linked to another scene via the hotspot. This creates a unique opportunity to create a scene based communication system for those with communication delays. In addition, a scene can have text added directly to the bottom of a page.
Once a visual scene is created with active “hotspots” or text, scenes can be added into “Books”. Books can be created and images grouped into the book by a specific theme or area of interest. Multiple books can be created within the book library and as many visual scenes as needed added into the “book”. For example: you may want to create a “Book” titled “My